Scientific Advancements of Genomics in the Field of Infectious Diseases
The next pandemic – when could it be?
This question puzzles many. So, what are you going to answer, as a professional?
You probably start by simply saying: tomorrow! Then the next questions are:
Are we well enough prepared? What can we do to prevent such an event? How can we minimize the impact on population health and economic costs?
And, should we only look at communicable diseases affecting humans, or take a broader perspective and look at (agri-)animal and plant diseases as well?
This is not just an academic exercise by a bunch of nerdy gene hunters. This is an effort will transform medicine. The Genome Project gave us the letters of the DNA that we all shareFrancis Collins, Physician-Geneticist, led the Human Genome Project (HGP)
The world of genomics is a huge world even on its own. Applying genomics in medicine and fighting infectious disease is a different world, complex but beautiful world. The following course will serve as gateway for everyone not just health professionals to learn this world of applied genomics. Will have you, the student of genomics from learning different emerging diseases, the advancements we have for combating these infectious diseases, the governing bodies that facilitate the planning, the publics’ knowledge of such advancements in the field, and what the future holds for applied genomics technology.
Key Concepts Covered
- How infectious diseases are primarily transmitted in South East Asian countries
- Handlings and governance within these regions
- Large-scale testings and region capacities for combating infectious diseases
- How we can immunize ourselves in fighting these diseases
- Know some of the most promising advancements in genomic technologies applied in our current age tackling infectious diseases
- Learn the ethical and moral dilemmas surrounding ideas on surveillance when dealing with high-tech and big data that come into consideration in applied biotechnology and genomics
Tip! Want to know first what’s in the course? Click on ‘Expand All’ and scroll down.
This course will take approximately 8 hours. Course materials are accessible for a month after date of enrollment.
This course is the next step in the world of communicable diseases. Preferably, you have successfully the following courses: “101: Genomics in Modern-Day Healthcare”, “104: Infectious Diseases Fundamentals”, and “105: Introduction to Molecular Biology”
How Will You Learn?
The course includes film, animation, exercises, and quizzes to embed learning and deepen your understanding of the key concepts. There are knowledge checks where you take the role of a practicing doctor, with expert comments afterward, so that you can learn from the experts in the field.
At the end of the course, you will be presented with a final quiz. Achieving an 80% score will be rewarded with the PHIX Genomics Academy 101 Genomics Certificate. In the bonus lesson, you will find extra material, such as links to additional information and the complete glossary.
Finishing this course will grant you a certificate of participation. It is mandatory training to certify for all the curricula of the PHIX Genomics Academy.
This course is developed and owned by PHIX Genomics Inc., inspired by its mission to bring genomic innovations to the Philippines and SE Asia.
The PHIX Genomics Academy is happy to invite you to take this e-learning.
This course is based on material from external sources. We gratefully thank all institutions and organizations for their effortless input to further the field of genomics and help improve people’s lives all over the world. We have taken considerable care to make fair use for educational purposes only. Please contact us if you are the rightful owner of the used material and feel any infringement is at stake.
Ready to start working on your career?
– Click on ‘Lesson 1’ below to start the course.
– You can pause any time you want, go forward or back at your own choice.
– When you feel happy with the material and ideas covered in a step, press ‘Show next chapter’ to complete the topic and record your progress. You can then click ‘Next Topic’ to continue or press ‘Previous Lesson’ to return to the preceding lessons.
– At each lesson introduction, the ‘Back to Course’ button is available if you want to be redirected to this page. When on a subtopic page, ‘Back to Lesson’ brings you back to the lesson introduction.
– You can always come back to a step even after the end of the course.
– The final quiz at the end is the only part with a time limit, and more details will be provided once this step is reached.