‘With the advancements in genomic technologies and tumor profiling, it is now possible to identify targetable alterations, leading to actionable results.’Jeffrey Seitz, CEO PHIX Genomics
Exploring the possibilities of the latest developments in cancer treatment.
20 years of development in genomics is now making it possible to explain why a treatment may work for one patient but not for every patient. Innovative, cutting-edge technologies and breakthroughs in DNA testing allow clinicians to identify mutations in a patient’s tumor, leading to new cancer treatments. This is called Precision Oncology. This new approach uses the most advanced genomic diagnostics and treatment protocols that produce:
- More accurate results
- Fewer and less severe side effects
- Better understanding of the aggressiveness of a tumor
- Potential for tumor regression
Besides these important benefits for patients and enabling doctors to provide better treatments, Precision Oncology also provides opportunities for using fewer medicines and faster cures, ultimately reducing the costs of healthcare. The promise of Precision Oncology provides us with a double-edged sword.
‘Precision Oncology is a tool that is available to you now. No longer do we refer to Precision Oncology as an application of the future. How are you going to make it happen for your patients? ‘
Key Concepts Covered:
A sound foundation of knowledge in Precision Oncology:
- You can explain the development and technical aspects of Precision Oncology.
- You are able to interpret and decide what considerations to make before testing.
- You can choose what types of tests to use:
- Companion Diagnostics
- Targeted Panels
- Comprehensive Genomic Profiling
- You can describe the whole diagnostic process.
- You can recognize and discuss the limitations and drawbacks of applying genomics in your daily practice.
Tip! Want to know first what’s in the course? Click on ‘Expand All’ and scroll down.
This course will take approximately 8 hours. Course materials are accessible for a month after date of enrollment.
To follow this course, it is recommended that you have already completed courses:
- 101: Genomics in Modern-Day Healthcare
- 102: Basics of Genomics and Oncology
How Will You Learn?
The course includes film, animation, exercises, and quizzes to embed learning and deepen your understanding of the key concepts. There are knowledge checks where you take the role of a practicing doctor, with expert comments afterward, so that you can learn from the experts in the field.
At the end of the course, you will be presented with a final quiz. Achieving an 80% score will be rewarded with the PHIX Genomics Academy 202 Genomics Certificate. In the bonus lesson, you will find extra material, such as links to additional information and the complete glossary.
The course will end with a final quiz, which will give you a certificate of participation. It is mandatory training to certify for the curricula of the PHIX Genomics Academy.
This course is developed and owned by PHIX Genomics Inc., inspired by its mission to bring genomic innovations to the Philippines and SE Asia.
The PHIX Genomics Academy is happy to invite you to take this e-learning.
This course is based on material from external sources. We gratefully thank all institutions and organizations for their effortless input to further the field of genomics and help improve people’s lives all over the world. We have taken considerable care to make fair use for educational purposes only. Please contact us if you are the rightful owner of the used material and feel any infringement is at stake.
Ready to continue working on your career?
– Click on ‘Lesson 1. What is Precision Oncology?’ below to start the course.
– You can pause any time you want, go forward or back at your own choice.
– When you feel happy with the material and ideas covered in a step, press ‘Show next chapter’ to complete the topic and record your progress. You can then click ‘Next Topic’ to continue or press ‘Previous Lesson’ to return to the preceding lessons.
– At each lesson introduction, the ‘Back to Course’ button is available if you want to be redirected to this page. When on a subtopic page, ‘Back to Lesson’ brings you back to the lesson introduction.
– You can always come back to a step even after the end of the course.
– The final quiz at the end is the only part with a time limit, and more details will be provided once this step is reached.