Your 14-year-old daughter rushes into your office, and asks anxiously: “MJ’s mother is very ill, and she says her genes are causing this. But we all have genes, right? So, am I going to get ill as well?”
What is it that genes do? And how can they make people sick? You take a deep breath and you quickly take a trip down memory lane for your classes on genetics.
Genomic medicine is the field of study that uses genomic information from an individual’s genes for diagnostic and therapeutic decision-making. It provides a better understanding of healthcare implications and is essential for preparing sound healthcare policies.
Genomics researches the complete and complex genetic make-up of organisms, which includes the whole genome (all DNA) and the interaction of genes with each other and within their environment. In a clinical setting, genomic diagnostics provide effective diagnoses and allow for tailor-made treatments.
This course will refresh your knowledge, bringing it up to the level needed to be able to explain the role of chromosomes and their relation to health conditions to your clients and patients (or maybe even your 14-year-old daughter), while also touching on the fundamentals of genetics. The course serves as a pre-requisite to our other and more advanced training modules, which offer greater in-depth applicability of genomics in healthcare.
Key Concepts Covered:
- Basics of chromosomes and their role
- Genomic variability
- Genetic causes for cancer
- Applications of genomics
Tip! Want to know first what’s in the course? Click on ‘Expand All’ and scroll down.
This course will take approximately an hour. Course materials are accessible for a month after your date of enrollment.
This course is a basic introduction to our program of courses, which covers topics such as precision oncology and bioinformatics. This e-learning has been developed for healthcare professionals with little or no recent genomics knowledge.
How Will You Learn?
The course includes film, animation, exercises, and quizzes to embed learning and deepen your understanding of the key concepts. There are knowledge checks where you take the role of a practicing doctor, with expert comments afterward, so that you can learn from the experts in the field.
In the bonus lesson, you will find extra material, such as links to additional information and the complete glossary.
At the end of the course, you will be presented with a final quiz. Achieving an 80% score will be rewarded with the PHIX Genomics Academy 101 Genomics Certificate. . Also, a discount coupon of 15% for future course purchases is awarded.
This course is mandatory to qualify for all the curricula of the PHIX Genomics Academy.
This course is developed and owned by PHIX Genomics Inc., inspired by its mission to bring genomic innovations to the Philippines and SE Asia.
The PHIX Genomics Academy is happy to invite you to take this e-learning.
This course is based on material from external sources. We gratefully thank all institutions and organizations for their effortless input to further the field of genomics and help improve people’s lives all over the world. We have taken considerable care to make fair use for educational purposes only. Please contact us if you are the rightful owner of the used material and feel any infringement is at stake.
Ready to start working on your career?
– Click on ‘What Do You Remember from Your High School Classes?‘ to start the course.
– You can pause any time you want, go forward, or back at your own choice.
– When you feel happy with the material and ideas covered in a step, press ‘Show next chapter’ to complete the topic and record your progress. You can then click ‘Next Topic’ to continue or press ‘Previous Lesson’ to return to the preceding lessons.
– At each lesson introduction, the ‘Back to Course’ button is available if you want to be redirected to this page. When on a subtopic page, ‘Back to Lesson’ brings you back to the lesson introduction.
– You can always return to any point in the course, even after completion of the course.
– There will be a final quiz at the end of the course, and more details will be provided once this step is reached.